Updated Oct. 22| What’s new this week:
The rate of cases in Wake County continues to climb, as daily new case counts in North Carolina reach new highs since July.
The rate of cases in Wake County on Wednesday is 180 cases per 10,000 residents. From most recent to older rates, previous weeks were: 177 (last week) per 10,000 residents in Wake County; 172 and 163.
The top ZIP code for percentage growth in our area this week is 27571 ROLESVILLE, but that 10%+ growth show be taken in context — the 9 new cases add up to only 97 cases.
The area with the highest number of new confirmed cases this week is 27610 RALEIGH, which grew by 73 confirmed cases this week for a total of 2,642.
About this project: Raleigh Convergence has analyzed confirmed cases count numbers in Wake County ZIP codes and congregate living outbreaks for more than 24 weeks, free for all to read. Consider supporting our work and future reporting projects if you’re able by contributing here.
The largest growth in cases this week:
Comparing Wednesday’s confirmed case numbers with Oct. 15’s report, the ZIP codes in Wake County with higher than the median point for percentage growth of weekly confirmed cases are:
- 27571 ROLESVILLE, with a 10.2% week-over-week increase of confirmed COVID-19 cases. +9 cases, 97 confirmed cases as of Oct. 21’s state numbers.
- 27523 APEX, 8.5% weekly increase of confirmed cases. +13, 166 confirmed cases total.
- 27601 RALEIGH, 7.9% increase. +14, 192 confirmed cases total.
- 27518 CARY, 6.2% increase. +14, 239 confirmed cases total.
- 27612 RALEIGH, 5.73% increase. +34, 627 confirmed cases total.
- 27540 HOLLY SPRINGS, 5.65% increase. +28, 524 confirmed cases total.
- 27572 WILLOW SPRING, 5.56% increase. +4, 76 confirmed cases total.
- 27592 WILLOW SPRING, 5.46% increase. +16, 309 confirmed cases total.
- 27615 RALEIGH, 5.3% increase. +37, 733 confirmed cases total.
- 27560 MORRISVILLE, 4.9% increase. +20, 427 confirmed cases total.
- 27513 CARY, 4.37% increase. +21, 502 confirmed cases total.
- 27526 FUQUAY VARINA, 4.36% increase. +34, 813 confirmed cases total.
- 27501 ANGIER, 4.2% increase. +19, 473 confirmed cases total.
- 27539 APEX, 4.11% increase. +14, 355 confirmed cases total.
- 27502 APEX, 4.08% increase. +20, 510 confirmed cases total.
- 27587 WAKE FOREST, 4.03% increase. +44, 1,136 confirmed cases total.
- 27603 RALEIGH, 3.8% increase. +44, 1,207 confirmed cases total.
The median percentage increase this week is 3.8%, down from last week’s 4.66%.
GET UPDATES DELIVERED TO YOUR INBOX: Sign up to receive our curated email newsletters with need-to-know info and contextual content.
Most cases of COVID-19 in the Raleigh area by ZIP code:
See the 35 ZIP codes in Wake County, organized from most confirmed case counts to fewest. The total lab-confirmed case counts are in green, deaths are in orange: (also listed below)
|27587 WAKE FOREST||1,136||31|
|27526 FUQUAY VARINA||813||14|
|27540 HOLLY SPRINGS||524||1|
|27592 WILLOW SPRING||309||3|
|27572 WILLOW SPRING||76||0|
|27562 NEW HILL||35||0|
Congregate living updates:
There are currently 10 known and ongoing congregate living outbreaks in Wake County from the state’s Tuesday’s report, Department of Public Safety (state) reports and county health reports.
Comparatively, Mecklenburg County (Charlotte) has 19 congregate living outbreaks, according to the state’s database. Durham County has 9 congregate living outbreaks and Orange County has 5 congregate living outbreaks.
From our week-over-week analysis of Tuesday’s congregate living reports and Wednesday’s Department of Public Safety reports, these congregate living facilities have seen weekly increases:
- Swift Creek Health Center, +1 confirmed case, 6 confirmed cases total. (27518 CARY)
- Litchford Falls Healthcare and Rehabilitation Center +7 new cases in the new outbreak announced last week. An earlier outbreak included 77 confirmed cases and 6 deaths. (27615 RALEIGH)
The N.C. Department of Public Safety, which oversees the state prison system, changed the way it reports the number of confirmed cases last week, with active cases as well as total cases.
Recovered this week:
- The Laurels of Forest Glenn, which included 115 total confirmed cases and 21 deaths. (27529 GARNER)
- Hillside Nursing Center of Wake Forest, which included 85 associated confirmed cases and 21 deaths. (27587 WAKE FOREST)
School and childcare clusters updates:
There is no childcare clusters or school clusters as of Tuesday’s state report.
Comparatively, as Tuesday’s report, there are no childcare or school clusters in neighboring counties of Durham County or Orange County. Mecklenburg County, which is of comparable size and includes Charlotte, has one childcare cluster and two K-12 school clusters.
Do you have questions about this ZIP code data or the analysis? Email firstname.lastname@example.org